POLICE QUESTION CHAIRMAN OF NATIONALIST RESIDENTS ‘ GROUP !

” I BELIEVE THEY ARE BEING PRESSURISED BY UNIONIST POLITICIANS TO GET ARRESTS IN THIS GROUP AND THEY ARE CAVING IN UNDER THE PRESSURE ” – Sean Hanna.

BREACHED !!!

THE chairman of a nationalist residents ‘ group questioned by police over an alleged breach of a Parades Commission determination has accused the PSNI of  ” caving in ” to pressure from unionist politicians.

Police interviewed Rasharkin Residents ‘ Collective chairman Sean Hanna last week about alleged breach’s of the determination linked to an Apprentice Boys parade through the mainly nationalist village during the summer. Residents held a protest when the parade was going through the Co Antrim village on August 17. ” It was political policing,” Mr Hanna said. ” I believe they [ the PSNI ] are being pressurised by unionist politicians to get arrests in this group and they are caving in under the pressure.” It is understood police also want to speak to at least six other people connected with the Rasharkin Residents ‘ Collective. Mr Hanna said police had accused him of walking through a so-called sterile zone they put in place to separate protesters and marchers ahead of the August parade. The residents ‘ spokesman said he had entered the zone only after police had blocked the route of nationalist protesters who were trying to make their way to the designated protest site in the Sunnyside Drive area of the village. Mr Hanna’s solicitor Seamus Delaney said his client had attended the police interview voluntarily. ” CCTV was viewed during the course of the interview and failed to disclose any offences by Mr Hanna,” he said. ” The PSNI also claimed during the interview that the investigation was initiated on the direction of the Parades Commission. ” Whilst not only were there no breaches of the determination by Mr Hanna, we have requested that the PSNI review the Parades Commission determination in respect of the allegation they have levelled against him and furthermore we are also seeking clarification in respect of who initiated the investigation against Mr Hanna.

A spokesman for the PSNI refused to comment regarding Mr Hanna. ” Police are involved in an ongoing investigation into the summer parading season in North Antrim,” he said. ” As this is a live investigation we are unable to give any further comment at this time.” The Parades Commission said it was a police matter. ” Criminal investigations and prosecutions of incidents relating to parades or alleged breaches of the commission’s determinations are entirely a matter for the PSNI and the criminal justice system,” a spokesman said. News of police interviewing Mr Hanna comes days after it emerged that three men have been questioned about breaches of a Parades Commission determination outside St Patrick’s Church on Donegall Street in central Belfast during a Royal Black Institution parade on August 25.
POSTED ON BEHALF OF : CONNIA YOUNG, IRISH NEWS.
Advertisements

OPPOSE BRITISH SECTARIAN POLICING

Oppose British Sectarian Policing

POSTED ON BEHALF OF :  Derry Sceal

STAY VIGILANTE INFORMERS AT LARGE SAY NOTHING AT ALL TIMES

STAY VIGILANTE 
INFORMERS AT LARGE
SAY NOTHING AT ALL TIMES

POSTED ON BEHALF OF :  Padraig FreePows

Facebook page claims to name Derry paedophiles

Facebook page claims to name Derry paedophiles | Image: Photocall Ireland

The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) is monitoring a Facebook page which claims to name and shame paedophiles in Co. Derry.

Police there say they know the founder of the site which has over 1,000 followers.

They have also given advice and guidance onwhat is and what is not appropriate to be posted publicly.

In a statement the force says officers in theLimavady area are monitoring the page to ensure it does not breach any legislation.

It also says that the vast majority of the content is already in the public domain because of news reporting.

The statement concludes to say that “public protection is our priority and everything we do is to protect the public”.

Related stories

[Question] Would priests on Facebook lure you into church?

[One to watch] Facebook drops from £66billion to £35billion

[One to watch] Facebook investors “lock-up” expired

http://www.newstalk.ie/2012/news/facebook-page-claims-to-name-derry-paedophiles/

COUNCILLOR’S VEHICLE SEIZED IN FUEL PROBE !

Ulster Unionist Party

POLICE have seized a vehicle owned by a Unionist Councillor in Co Antrim after they suspected it was being driven on illegal fuel.

The Landrover Defender owned by Moyle Ulster Unionist Party councillor Willie Graham, was seized at the side of a country road by police officers after they became suspicious earlier this year. It was checked during a police operation at Carnbore Road, near Bushmills, on April 24. Although the ‘ road fuel operation ‘ was carried out by the PSNI, details of the seizure were later passed on to customs officials. During a meeting of Moyle District Council last month, independent councillor Padraig McShane accused an unnamed council colleague of claiming travel expenses while running their vehicle on illegal fuel. When asked about the allegations by The Irish News in June this year Mr Graham denied he was caught using illegal fuel. ” It’s only a rumour. There’s no truth in it,” he said.

LANDROVER DEFENDER

When contacted again last night, he declined to elaborate. ” You print it and you can stand over it,” he said. ” Go ahead that’s fine.” According to the law vehicles driven on public roads must use heavily taxed clear diesel bought at forecourt petrol pumps. Illegal fuels include red diesel used in private and commercial vehicles on public roads, clear diesel mixed with home heating oil and ‘ washed ‘ diesel – when the red dye is removed from agricultural diesel and resold as clear. Red diesel, used mainly in farm and construction machinery, is taxed less heavily and costs roughly 50p a litre less than its clear counterpart. Private and commercial drivers found to be using red diesel or other illegal fuels face having their vehicle seized and heavy fines imposed. First time offenders can expect to have to pay £500 to have their vehicle returned.

A spokesman for Revenue and Customs said they can’t comment on individual cases. However, he said : ” People who use rebated fuel illegally are abusing a tax system set up to support and reduce the burden on industries such as agriculture. It isn’t about cheating the government out of a few pounds – with £650 million lost to illicit diesel in Great Britain each year – It’s about cheating themselves and their neighbours out of vital founding for public services.” A spokesman for the PSNI confirmed the seizure of the vehicle. ” Police seized a vehicle in the Carnbore Road area of Bushmills on Tuesday 24th April on suspicion of using illegal fuel. The vehicle was taken to Coleraine PSNI station and HM Customs and Excise officers notified,” he said. A spokesman for the UUP said : ” Councillor Graham is entitled to a fair hearing. Obviously as a responsible political party we support the rule of law.”

WITH MANY THANKS TO : CONNIA YOUNG, IRISH NEWS.

” POLICE DO NOT WANT TO LIFT IRA VEIL OF SECRECY ” !

WITNESS : NAME ALL FIVE ALLEGED PROVOS IN COURT

A PROSECUTION witness in a Provisional IRA membership case claims police are opposing attempts to have the defendants named in open court. The West Belfast women, who says she was forced into cooperating with an IRA investigation more than a decade ago, has argued that the reporting restriction potentially puts her life at risk by ” fuelling speculation within the community “.

The highly unusual order, granted using Contempt of Court legislation, bans identification of three men and two women charged with belonging to a proscribed organisation between 1999 and 2000. During a short hearing last month the prosecution said the alleged victim wants the restriction to be lifted. However, she claims police have since told her they intend to challenge her request. Yesterday police said : ” As with any court case the final decision whether to lift reporting restrictions lies with the court and is based on the wishes of all of the victims involved in a case. ” All involved have to be in agreement before a court could lift the reporting restrictions on any case.” Believed to be virtually unprecedented in any paramilitary case.

English: A republican wall mural in coalisland...

All five defendants are charged with belonging to a proscribed organisation on dates between September 1999 and 2000, namely the Provisional Irish Republican Army, as well as organising a meeting in support of the PIRA between August 1 and August 31 2000. During a hearing in August of this year, in which the defendants – three men and two women – did not appear, a ban on revealing their names was granted at Belfast Magistrates Court at the request of the defence and without objection from the prosecution. The restriction was granted under Contempt of Court legislation. However, later last month the prosecution said the alleged victim now wanted the reporting restrictions lifted. The case was adjourned until September 20, when a magistrate will consider arguments.

MEDIA SHOULD HAVE THE RIGHT TO NAME FIVE IRA ACCUSED : ALLEGED VICTIM !

However, the alleged victim has said she has since been contacted by the PSNI who have stated despite her wishes they intend to challenge the lifting of the ban. She has claimed that keeping the restrictions in place is ” Fuelling speculation within the community and potentially putting my life at risk “. ” I am also of the opinion that the media should have the right to name the defendants “, she said. A spokeswomen for the PSNI said yesterday : ” As there are currently reporting restrictions on this case we cannot comment on it. Reporting restrictions granted under the Contempt of Court Act, once only applied in the most extreme of circumstances, are now being enforced more frequently in the courts in the North of IrelandPicture by  Derry Sceal

While the PIRA case is believed to be the first time legislation has been used in a paramilitary trail of this type, there have been similar reporting restrictions issued in other cases in recent months. Last week District Judge Paul Copeland, sitting at Banbridge Magistrates Court, ordered the identity of a man accused of possessing indecent images of children to be with-held for his ” health and safety “. The 50-year-old Co Down man was released on bail. In August a Derry magistrate banned the media from naming three men charged with possession of drugs worth an estimated £150,000 after defence lawyers argued that releasing their details would place them at risk of attack from dissident republicans. A 27-year-old women described in court in Derry as ” a significant figure ” in the supply of drugs was granted anonymity last week along with a 19-year-old women charged over a £13,000 drugs haul. They were identified only by their court numbers during the hearing on Friday after a judge was told there could be threats to their lives by ” third parties “.

WITH MANY THANKS TO : ALLISON MORRIS, IRISH NEWS.

33 Police Service of Northern Ireland officers suspended in one year

Thirty-three police officers have been suspended from duty over the past year in Northern Ireland.

PSNI HQ sign

The suspensions followed a series of allegations including assault, a sexual offence, death threats, being drunk in charge of a loaded firearm and theft.

Two officers were dismissed and four were required to resign over the period from 1 July 2011 to 1 July 2012.

The PSNI released the figures following a Freedom of Information (FoI) Act request from the BBC.

Full pay

Other allegations against suspended PSNI officers included failure to investigate, inappropriate use of police systems, criminal damage, perverting the course of justice and perjury.

Of the 33 PSNI officers who had to step aside from their duties, none had been suspended for more than a year.

Suspended officers still receive full pay and on 1 July 2012, the officer serving the longest period of suspension had been out of work for 282 days.

The total salary paid to the suspended officers was just under £265,000.

The officers were suspended for an average of four months.

Investigated

In its response to the BBC’s FoI request, the PSNI said it “expects its staff to behave professionally, ethically and with the utmost integrity at all times”.

“Any conduct, whether on or off duty, which brings or is likely to bring discredit on the police service will be investigated in order to establish whether or not a breach of the code of ethics has occurred.”

However, the PSNI pointed out that not all investigations result in the officer in question being found guilty of either misconduct or a criminal offence.

It added: “The decision to suspend an officer is only taken in exceptional circumstances after all other options, including alternative duties, have been considered.”

In 2008, the PSNI confirmed that of 35 officers who were on suspension at the time, one officer had been suspended for more than seven years on full pay.

Chief Superintendent Mark Hamilton, the senior officer responsible for maintaining discipline in the PSNI, said work was taking place on reforms which he hoped would be in place next year.

“If you woke up this morning and heard those figures, you would rightly be alarmed that police officers are engaged in this sort of conduct,” he said.

“I would want to re-assure the public that the fact that we have 33 officers suspended, indicates that we are holding our officers to a very high level of accountability, both on duty and off duty.”

WITH MANY THANKS TO : By Claire Savage, BBC News

Related Stories