LOYALIST flag protester and new poster-boy for the UVF Jamie Bryson is due to appear in Belfast Magistrates Court today. The 23-year-old faces six charges including four counts of taking part in an unnotified public procession and two counts of encouraging or assisting offences under Section 46 of the Serious Crime Act 2007.
The former community worker and chairman of the Ulster People’s Forum was charged by detectives last night after being arrested on Thursday following a 30-hour hunt by police. It was claimed on a loyalist social media site last night and also in the Newsletter that Mr Bryson had begun a hunger-Strike in police custody. The Co Down man was arrested by officers from Operation Dulcet which is investigating disorder surrounding protests which started three months ago when Belfast City councillors voted to reduce the number of days the Union Flag will be flown at the city hall.
WITH MANY THANKS TO : MAEVE CONNOLLY, IRISH NEWS.
- Fugitive flag protest leader Jamie Bryson arrested as Willie Frazer is charged (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Bryson due in court over protests (bbc.co.uk)
- Frazer Doesn’t Speak for Us Says Bryson (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- Bryson ‘refusing food and water’ while in custody (newsletter.co.uk)
- Union flag protester Willie Frazer refused bail (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Frazer and Hughes Both Face Charges After Arrests (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)