Children with PTSD suffer significant distress or negative impacts on their daily lives. Estimates of the prevalence of PTSD in children and adolescents experiencing trauma are generally very high, at 30% to 40%. PTSD is also strongly associated with a range of other mental health disorders such as depression, anxiety disorders, and substance abuse.
What are the main symptoms of PTSD in children?
As with PTSD in adults, PTSD is diagnosed in children by the presence of three main symptom groups for at least a month:
1)recurrent and intrusive recollections of the trauma
2) avoidance of stimuli such as thoughts, feelings or conversations associated with the trauma
3) symptoms of anxiety
However, PTSD may be more difficult to diagnose in children as their reactions can differ from adults. Symptoms of PTSD may be expressed in children as behavioural problems, developmental regression, physical symptoms and more generalised fears.
What causes PTSD in children?
The types of traumatic events that can cause PTSD include:
1)exposure to war
3)physical or sexual abuse
4)violence to themselves or others
6)serious injury or life threatening injury or illness
They can find our paper here:http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/14651858.CD006726.pub2/abstract
About Donna Gillies
She has extensive experience in managing research projects, published widely in international peer-reviewed journals, and has been a statistical and topic reviewer for a range of international publications.
Donna has a strong interest in systematic reviews and evidence-based practice and has published systematic reviews and meta-analyses in a range of areas. She was the elected Author Representative for the Cochrane Collaboration Steering Group for six years, and a member of other key groups within the Cochrane Collaboration.
Donna’s major research interest is in Mental Health but she has worked as a researcher on a range of other health-related areas.
- Psychological Therapies Improve Life For Children With Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Psychological Therapies Improve Life For Children With PTSD (ivanhoe.com)
- Increased Ambivalence Toward Medication Common In Stroke Patients With PTSD (medicalnewstoday.com)
- Changes in trauma memory & patterns of posttramatic stress (PTSD) (mentalhealthmatters2.wordpress.com)
- Finding new treatments for PTSD (krqe.com)
- Yoga Helping Veterans With PTSD (hispanicbusiness.com)
- PTSD Causes and Effects… (behindthemaskofabuse.com)