Libertad para Gerry
Thank you for your letter dated 3rd November 2012.
In your letter you raise the point that due to the on-going legal proceedings surrounding the case of Gerry McGeough, it would not be appropriate for you to meet and discuss his case.
Mr McGeough’s case has most recently been discussed very publicly on 5th November 2012 in the Stormont Assembly.
It has also been discussed at a press conference on Thursday 5th April 2012.
A petition calling for the release of Gerry McGeough was publicly presented to your predecessor Mr Owen Paterson via the NIO by an SDLP delegation that included their party leader Dr Alasdair McDonnell MP/MLA on Monday 21st May 2012.
A second press conference to discuss Mr McGeough’s case was held on Wednesday 13th June 2012.
On 4th October 2012, Sinn Féin began the process of bringing forward a motion to each council area calling for the release of Mr McGeough.
A motion calling for the release of Mr McGeough was passed unanimously on 25th October 2012 by the twenty-one councillors representing the four political parties in the city of Sant Feliu de Llobregat, Catalonia. This motion is now being brought before the European Parliament.
On 20th November 2012 Mr McGeough’s case will be discussed openly at a public meeting in Westminster that will include Fianna Fáil TD Mr Éamon Ó Cuiv and Labour MP for Hayes and Harlington Mr John McDonnell.
Mr McGeough’s case has also received extensive coverage by local, national and worldwide media.
Despite the on-going legal process, the DUP have been very public in their repeated attempts to sway public opinion against the early release of Mr McGeough under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement 1998.
Under these circumstances, I believe it would be appropriate if you could accept my request for a private meeting
POSTED ON BEHALF OF : Damian Herron
- The DUP Still Express Revulsion Towards The Men And Women Of 1916. A Timescale Comparison Of Gerry McGeough’s Imprisonment (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- A Deafening Silence Fell Over The Injustice and Selective Persecution Inflicted Upon Gerry McGeough And His Family (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- $hame £ein to Attend Prisoner Debate in Westminster (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- Public Meeting to Promote Justice Campaign (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- JUSTICE FOR GERRY McGEOUGH (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- Ten cuidado Aleida, l’encant d’Adams. Recordi nostra Gerry McGeough. Adams s’oblidi d’esmentar el nom de Gerry, però mai oblidar (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- Council Calls for Release of Member’s Would-be Killer ! (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)