” IT IS DISTURBING THAT THE CIRCUMSTANCES WITHIN A CUSTODIAL SETTING WERE SUCH THAT A YOUNG MAN COULD TAKE HIS OWN LIFE WHILST ON REMAND ” – Tom Elliot.
He was found in his cell early yesterday in a lifeless state. A ligature was also discovered. Efforts to revive him proved unsuccessful and he was pronounced dead at 1.40am His death brings to seven the number of suspected suicides in the North of Ireland prisons in 21 months. Three investigations by the PSNI, coroner and prisoner ombudsman are to be carried out into the circumstances of Mr McDonagh’s death. Prison service director general Sue McAllister sent sympathies to the family. ” This is a tragedy and my thoughts are with them at this difficult time.” Ulster Unionist justice spokesperson, Tom Elliott has said he was ” deeply concerned ” by the latest death in custody. ” It is disturbing that the circumstances within a custodial setting were such that a young man could take his own life whilst on remand and I will be raising this issue with the justice minister at the next available opportunity to ensure that all necessary precautions are being taken to prevent incidents such as this.”
WITH MANY THANKS TO : ALLISON MORRIS, IRISH NEWS.
- Prisoner found dead in Maghaberry (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Prisoner becomes the third suicide victim at Maghaberry this year (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)
- Man remanded in custody on Tia Sharp murder charge (dailyrecord.co.uk)
- Pastor, wife remanded in prison over disapperance of friend’s two children (vanguardngr.com)
- Man, 20, remanded in prison for defiling girl, 6 (vanguardngr.com)
- Prisoner lied about mother’s death (stuff.co.nz)