A court has heard claims that Marian Price “cannot effectively participate in any legal proceedings” as a result of her illness.
Price, who appeared on court papers as Marian McGlinchey, of no fixed abode, had been due to appear in court today for a preliminary enquiry accused of aiding and abetting addressing a meeting in support of the IRA.
However, a letter was provided to the court to state she was unable to attend.
Three other defendants, 50-year-old Marvin Canning, of Galliagh Park, 42-year-old Patrick John McDaid, of Beechwood Avenue, and 30-year-old Frank Quigley, of Elmwood Road, are jointly charged with managing a meeting in support of a proscribed organisation.
The four defendants had been previously charged in connection with the commemoration, however the local District Judge Barney McElholm refused to return them for trial in May this year because of delay in the case.
They were then summonsed to appear in court today for a preliminary enquiry.
Prior to the case being mentioned a protest took place outside the court, calling for the release of 48-year-old Price, whose licence was revoked by the secretary of state last May and has been in custody for the past 18months.
There was a heavy police presence both inside and outside the court.
Peter Corrigan told the court he would be making an abuse of process application on behalf of Price, to stay the proceedings against her.
He claimed that if the papers had been prepared “diligently and expeditiously” by the PPS she may have been fit to participate in the proceedings.
The case against all four defendants was adjourned for mention on October 12 and legal argument was adjourned until October 19.
See tomorrow’s Journal for more.
WITH MANY THANKS TO : DERRY JOURNAL.
- Today, DFM, Martin McGuinness is set to raise the INTERNMENT of Martin Corey & Marian Price @ his meeting with the new S.O.S. Theresa Villiers (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- The continued INTERNMENT of Marian Price is part of a cynical plan by the British government to introduce new anti-terrorism laws (MI5/6 involvement) through the ‘Justice and Security Bill’ during the forthcoming parliamentary session (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- Every Second Counts – Injustice Never Rules Forever – Hostage Marian Price ! (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- Dolours Price & Jean McConville (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- MARIAN SILENCED WHY ? call for the immediate release of Marian Price (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- Dissident charges for Marian Price and three men (belfasttelegraph.co.uk)