Four men from Dungannon who recently embarked on a protest in Maghaberry Prison have requested they are moved to Roe 4 Republican Wing immediately. Brothers, Thomas and Desmond Hamill, Martin Mc Gilloway and Austin Creggan have been accepted by Roe 4 prisoners.
These men embarked on a protest initially, of refusing prison food, due to threats
and tampering of food by loyalist prisoners, which then progressed to a full hunger strike. During this protest the men lost large amounts of weight and were seen by the prison nurse every day, who weighed them, took urine samples and provided them with dental care.
The families of these men contacted “The Families and Friends Of Republican Prisoners Maghaberry” group who felt that independent mediation was required to resolve this life threatening situation quickly. Independent Republican Councillors Angela Nelson and Padraig Mc Shane and representatives of the group met with the families on Friday 21st September in Belfast. The families informed us that Dessie and Austin came off their protest as they were informed they were accepted by Roe 4 prisoners whilst Martin and Tommy remained on hunger strike awaiting further clarification. The families gave us permission to act on their behalf and we requested the men stopped the hunger strike immediately to give us the space to address the issues. The two men ended their protest after speaking to family members on Saturday evening 22nd September.
A visit was arranged for Tuesday 25th September with Martin Mc Gilloway and Thomas Hamill. Independent Republican Councillor Angela Nelson, Mandy Duffy and a family member visited the two men in Maghaberry and after speaking with us and being reassured they were now Roe 4 prisoners, the men were very upbeat and content. These men will need time to recover physically from this protest, and their fight to be transferred to Roe 4 to be with fellow Republican prisoners will continue. Councillor Angela Nelson said she will continue to work on their behalf until this situation is resolved
POSTED ON BEHALF OF : Rsf Leinster
- Four Irish Republican prisoners continue to hunger strike in Maghaberry prison for the right to be housed on a Republican landing (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- The following is a copy of my email to The United Nations Human Rights Watch re: the Hunger Strike in magHaberry. (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- 2012 Maghaberry Protest Fast – LETTER TO PRINT MEDIA (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- Gerry McGeough and his family would like to thank Independent Republican Councillor Angela Nelson who visited Gerry in Maghaberry prison today. (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- Republican Prisoners protest Sat, 11th august. (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)