He understands why men are being tortured here — the reason for criminalisation. What makes it so disgusting, I believe, is that he agrees with that underlying reason. Only once has he spoken out, of the beatings and inhumanity that are commonplace in H-Block.
I once read an editorial, in late ’78, following the then Archbishop O Fiaich’s ‘sewer pipes of Calcutta’ statement. It said it was to the everlasting shame of the Irish people that the archbishop had to, and I paraphrase, stir the moral conscience of the people on the H-Block issue. A lot of time has passed since then, a lot of torture, in fact the following year was the worst we experienced.
POSTED ON BEHALF OF : Derry Sceal
- Support the Pows (fiannaiochta.wordpress.com)
- The Worst Archbishop Ever? (catholicvote.org)
- Archbishop Desmond Tutu: hypocrisy with a giggle (blogs.telegraph.co.uk)
- Catholic Priest Rebuked For Participating In Cousins Gay Wedding (lezgetreal.com)
- Archbishop Desmond Tutu: Put Blair And Bush On Trial (towleroad.com)